ARLINGTON, Va.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Airlines Reporting Corp. (ARC) today released data showing ARC-accredited travel agency air ticket sales totaling $7.3 billion in September 2022, a 129% year-over-year increase.*
Month over month, September 2022 results showed:
- Total sales increased 1%.
- Total passenger trips decreased 2%.
- U.S. domestic trips decreased 2%.
- International trips decreased 2%.
“Travel demand remained relatively flat throughout September as vacation season wound down and airlines, airports and other stakeholders in the travel industry addressed the issues that impacted summer travel,” said Steve Solomon, chief commercial officer at ARC. “As we look ahead to the final quarter of the year, we expect additional recovery in the corporate and online travel agency sectors while leisure travel holds at its current pre-pandemic levels.”
Total passenger trips settled by ARC in September 2022 increased 38% year over year from 15.4 million to 21.2 million. U.S. domestic trips increased 26% year over year to 13.9 million, with international trips increasing 65% to 7.3 million over the same period.
The average round-trip U.S. air travel ticket price in September 2022 was $560. This marks the first month-over-month increase since May 2022, and a 44% increase year over year.
EMD sales increased 119% year over year to $14,441,242. EMD transactions increased 93% to 256,887 over the same period.**
ARC accelerates the growth of global air travel by delivering forward-looking travel data, flexible distribution services and other innovative industry solutions. We are a leading travel intelligence company that possesses the world’s largest, most comprehensive global airline ticket dataset, including more than 15 billion passenger flights representing 490 airlines and 230 countries and territories. Our solutions and expertise strengthen economies and enrich lives by connecting stakeholders across the travel ecosystem. For more information, visit arccorp.com.
- Results are based on monthly sales data ending September 30, 2022, from 10,630 U.S. retail and corporate travel agency locations, satellite ticket printing offices and online travel agencies. Results do not include sales of tickets purchased directly from airlines.
- The average ticket price (USD) is for a round-trip ticket settled through ARC for an itinerary that included only U.S. domestic travel.
- Passenger trips include the total number of passengers taking a trip from one airport to another using direct or connecting flights. Newly issued trips are added, and refunded trips are deducted to provide a net view of traveling passengers.
- U.S. domestic passenger trips include the total number settled through ARC where the itinerary is wholly within the U.S. International passenger trips include the total number settled through ARC where some or all the travel occurs to airports outside the U.S. or originates outside the U.S.
- Total sales are equal to the total amount paid for a ticket, which includes taxes and fees.
**Electronic Miscellaneous Documents (EMD)
- Includes fees for products and services such as upgraded seats, checked bags, an unaccompanied minor, pet-in-cabin, etc.
© Airlines Reporting Corporation (ARC). All rights reserved.